NEWARK, Del. — September 7, 2023 — Saucony launches the corn-powered Triumph RFG featuring a midsole made from 55-percent Susterra® propanediol. It’s Saucony’s most sustainable shoe to date, making an immediate impact to reduce its environmental footprint.
Running toward a more sustainable future, global performance running lifestyle brand Saucony launches its most sustainable shoe to date today. The new Triumph RFG (Run For Good) shoe collaboration features a corn-based PWRRUN BIO+™ midsole, 55 percent of which is made from bio-based Susterra propanediol. The launch is part of Saucony’s recent sustainability goals to have 90 percent of its products contain organic, recycled or renewable materials by 2025, with 100 percent by 2030.
The all-new Triumph RFG brings together plant-based dyes in the upper with a 55-percent corn-based PWRRUN BIO+ midsole foam to help limit the dependence on plastic, a major contributor to negative environmental impact. The midsole foam is made with Susterra propanediol, a 100-percent regeneratively grown, dent corn-based 1,3-propanediol. The 80-percent natural rubber outsole is engineered to offer the same level of performance as a synthetic sole. The Triumph RFG is now available online for purchase and in select retailers globally.
As 22.2 billion pairs of footwear are produced each year, legacy brands like Saucony are partnering with bio-based performance brands like Susterra propanediol to support a shared mission of reducing industry use of fossil fuel dependency.
“This partnership with Saucony on the Triumph RFG was a natural collaboration as we aim to build a more circular economy with a renewable footprint globally, especially in the performance footwear brands category,” said John Hurban, vice president of global marketing and sales at CovationBio™ PDO, the world’s largest producer of 100 percent bio-based 1,3 propanediol (or “BIO-PDO®”). Susterra propanediol is a 100-percent BIO-PDO derived from regeneratively-grown dent corn. A partnership with Primient and Truterra LLC, supports these regenerative farming methods at farms across the Midwest (U.S.). By using nature as a source, CovationBio PDO transforms the plant-based feedstock into a building block designed to reduce the need for petroleum-based components and improve product performance.
“We are proud to be a part of Saucony’s sustainable mission, and this marks a milestone for Susterra propanediol. It’s the first example we’re aware of where this percentage of bio-based content is used in the midsole of an athletic shoe. We believe runners and fitness enthusiasts will benefit from increased high-performance shoe flexibility, comfortability, and durability. This shoe sizes up against the competition and goes the distance to have a lighter environmental footprint,” said Hurban.
Triumph RFG Features
- PWRRUN BIO+ cushioning is 55-percent corn based (made from Susterra propanediol), limiting dependence on plastic
- PWRRUN BIO+ sockliner; made to perform with PWRRUN+ sockliner for added comfort
- Durable gum rubber outsole is made from 80-percent natural rubber
- Breathable mesh upper made of cotton using plant-based dyes
- Soft collar and padded tongue for 360 degree fit and feel
- Category: Neutral
- Heel-to-toe Offset: 10mm (37mm heel/27mm forefoot)
- Weight: Men’s 10.4oz. (295g), Women’s 9.7oz (275g)
- Sustainability: This style is vegan and contains recycled materials
Susterra Propanediol Features
- USDA 100-percent certified bio-based product derived from regeneratively-grown dent corn
- BIO-PDO is petroleum-free and offers high-performing, sustainable solutions for a wide range of polyurethane applications
- Benefits include improved flexibility and tear strength, strong durability and adhesion properties, softness and transparency, and enhanced abrasion resistance
- Generates up to 48-percent less greenhouse gas emissions cradle-to-gate compared to 1,4-butanediol (BDO), a common petrochemical-sourced alternative
Posted: September 7, 2023
Source: Primient Covation LLC / Saucony