NEW YORK — April 1, 2021 — J.Crew Group today announced that it has taken important steps to build out its leadership team in order to advance its long-term strategic growth plan.
The company has appointed four highly experienced retail industry leaders — Jose Davila, chief people officer; Danielle Schmelkin, chief information officer; Derek Yarbrough, chief marketing officer; and Liz Hershfield, senior vice president Sustainability — to its senior management team, which is led by Libby Wadle, J.Crew Group’s CEO. These individuals will be integral in accelerating J.Crew Group’s approach to building a digital-first, purpose-driven organization under its J.Crew, Madewell, and J.Crew Factory brands.
“I believe strong and relevant brands are customer-centric, community-minded, purpose-driven and powered through innovation, technology and a deeply collaborative culture,” Wadle said. “Jose, Danielle, Derek and Liz are proven leaders in their respective fields, share our core values, and bring significant expertise as well as a passion for our brands that will drive our business forward.”
- Jose Davila, Chief People Officer. In this role, Jose will guide J.Crew Group’s overall people strategy and execution. Jose’s brings 25 years of talent management and brand-building experience, as well as a deep knowledge of the retail industry to J.Crew Group. He most recently served as Vice President of Human Resources for Levi Strauss & Co., where he oversaw North and South America. Previously, he spent more than ten years at Gap Inc., where he held a series of leadership positions, including Head of International Human Resources, Head of Human Resources for Banana Republic, and Vice President, Human Resources for the Gap Brand Stores Organization.
- Danielle Schmelkin, Chief Information Officer. In this role, Danielle leads J.Crew Group’s digital transformation by maximizing data insights, increasing connectedness and interactivity with customers, driving innovation and fortifying IT architecture. She most recently served as Chief Information Officer of Madewell. Danielle is a recognized technology and digital innovator who brings over 20 years of experience to this position.
- Derek Yarbrough, Chief Marketing Officer. In this role, Derek is responsible for all marketing, creative, and Ecommerce initiatives for the J.Crew and Madewell brands. Derek is a recognized leader in Ecommerce, marketing and the fashion industry and brings over 20 years of experience to this newly created position. He spent the previous eight years at Madewell where he played increasingly important roles, and most recently served as the brand’s CMO.
- Liz Hershfield, Senior Vice President Sustainability. In this newly created role, Liz leads sustainability innovation for the J.Crew, Madewell and J.Crew Factory brands. She will focus on driving a company-wide sustainability agenda that will maximize positive impact and position the J.Crew Group as a leader in sustainable retail. She will continue to oversee Sourcing for Madewell as well as this new role. Liz brings over 25 years of experience and deep knowledge of sourcing and sustainability to the position.
These leaders are part of a strong management team which includes Michael Nicholson, COO and Vincent Zanna, CFO.
J.Crew Group also announced the following appointments to its board of directors.
- Frits Dirk van Paasschen, a seasoned global executive who spent more than a decade as a Fortune 500 CEO, first at The Coors Brewing Company and then at Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide. Previously, he held several management positions at Nike, ultimately becoming Nike’s President of Europe, Middle East, and Africa. He currently serves on the Board of Directors of Williams-Sonoma, Inc. and Royal DSM.
- Anna Fieler, a transformative technology executive and investor who founded and currently runs Madison Park Ventures, a venture capital firm that invests in technology companies that advance well-being, connection and productivity. Previously, she was Chief Marketing Officer of PopSugar. She currently serves on the Board of Directors of Shake Shack Inc. and Quinstreet, Inc.
- Nadia Rawlinson, a global human resources executive who currently serves as the Chief People Officer at Slack. Previously, she was the Chief Human Resources Officer at Live Nation Entertainment and Rakuten USA and she also served as Co-Head of Global Human Resources of Groupon. She was recognized by Black Enterprises Magazine as one of the ‘Most Powerful Women in Corporate America’ and as one of the ‘300 Most Powerful Executives in Corporate America’ in 2019 and 2018, respectively. Nadia also serves on the Board of Directors of Vail Resorts, Inc.
Posted April 1, 2021
Source: J.Crew Group Inc.