MONTREAL — January 16, 2020 — Fashion and lifestyle brand Frank And Oak kicks off 2020 with an increased commitment to sustainability and the announcement of new sustainability goals to be achieved by 2022. The five ambitious goals further the brand’s commitment to reducing its impact on the planet with an emphasis on utilizing recycled materials and harnessing renewable energy sources and carbon offsets to neutralize the brand’s environmental impact.
Recently certified as a B Corporation (2019), Frank And Oak has devoted itself to environmental and social sustainability. Certified B Corps meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability and are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on their workers, customers, suppliers, community, and the environment.
“The climate crisis is an issue that is deeply important to us at Frank And Oak. Over the last few years, we have been able to be nimble and agile to adapt our business practices to better serve our planet, and as well, our customers,” said Ethan Song, Frank And Oak’s CEO and cofounder. “Though we have made significant strides, we recognize that there is still so much we need to do as the climate crisis continues to worsen. This is why we have set such ambitious goals, to remain accountable to ourselves, our customers and our communities.”
The Montreal-based company has outlined five sustainability goals that involve eliminating the use of virgin materials and increasing responsible energy and operations practices. The five goals include:
- Goal 1: Zero virgin plastic — By 2022, Frank And Oak aims to cut all virgin plastic in their supply chain. The first step towards this goal is currently underway as the brand begins to use exclusively 100-percent compostable, plant-based bags for shipping, while also removing excess shipping packaging.
- Goal: Zero virgin polyester — Frank And Oak will only use recycled polyester fibers to make shell fabrics, labels, and trims in an effort to eliminate all virgin polyester in its supply chain by 2022.
- Goal: 100 percent offset of greenhouse gas (GHG) scope 1 emissions — Frank And Oak will increase its collaborations with local and international partners to reduce logistics mileage and offset last mile GHG. By 2022, Frank And Oak will further these offset activities to include all markets it operates in.
- Goal 4: Increase the use of renewable energies — Frank And Oak plans to run its headquarters, warehouse, and retail stores on 100-percent renewable energy by 2022. New facilities will have green energy sources, water meters, and waste management systems incorporated into building plans.
- Goal 5: Encourage zero-waste philosophy — Frank And Oak headquarters will remain Fair Trade certified and it will also continue to work with local partners to use furniture that is either second-hand or sustainably made in all Frank And Oak stores and the brand’s headquarters. Frank And Oak’s zero-waste philosophy will be enforced company-wide by providing employees with training, zero-waste challenge initiatives, and reusable materials.
In the face of the climate crisis, Frank And Oak recognizes the urgency to do their part and the necessity to come together as individuals to effect real change in local communities and globally. These ambitious sustainability goals will act as a roadmap for the brand over the next two years as they continue to perfect their products and operations to attain a more sustainable and climate-positive future.
Posted January 16, 2020
Source: Frank And Oak