DALTON, Ga. – January 15, 2019 – In recognition of Shaw Industries Group Inc.’s (Shaw) commitment to and investment in promoting a corporate culture of diversity and inclusion, Forbes Magazine has named Shaw as one of “The Best Employers for Diversity.”
In collaboration with analytics firm Statista, Forbes identified The Best Employers for Diversity through an independent survey of more than 50,000 U.S. employees working for companies employing at least 1,000 people within its U.S. operations. The evaluation was based on four different criteria, with the 500 companies receiving the highest total scores selected as the “The Best Employers for Diversity 2019.” Criteria included:
- Direct recommendations from employees regardless of age, gender equality, ethnicity, disability, LGBTQ+ and general diversity concerning their own employer.
- Indirect recommendations: participants were given the chance to evaluate other employers in their respective industries that stand out either positively or negatively with regard to diversity.
- Diversity among top executives / board: Based on extensive research an index was built based on the share of women who fill top executive or board positions.
- Diversity KPIs: An index of objective and publicly available diversity KPIs (e.g. existence of a department/position responsible for diversity, proactive communication of diverse company culture) was created.
“Shaw’s talent management strategy places investment in our 22,000 associates at the core of the company,” said Mike Fromm, chief human resource officer at Shaw. “We strive to foster an environment where diverse perspectives and ideas are heard, and value is placed on both seen and unseen characteristics and experiences that our associates bring to the organization. Diversity and inclusion are necessary for innovation and growth, allow us to better understand our customers and their needs, and position us to attract and retain the best talent.”
Lucia Cook, corporate diversity and inclusion leader at Shaw, stated, “This ranking is an indication that we are headed in the right direction with our strategy and actions. Shaw’s commitment to cultivating an inclusive and diverse corporate culture is supported by a number of initiatives that reach associates at all levels of the company in an effort to spark growth for our people and our business.”
The Shaw Way, a multi-faceted strategy touching all aspects of business enterprise-wide, was developed around the company’s talent competency model, which drives the leadership imperatives necessary for success. The model is aligned with all talent processes from selection and performance management to leadership development and recognition. Demonstrating inclusive leadership is a key talent competency expected at every level of our organization.
Shaw’s diversity and inclusion efforts are continually shaping new talent acquisition and retention practices to reduce unconscious bias in the hiring and promotion process, including associates from all backgrounds in key business decisions, and educating its associate base on cultural fluency.
In addition to ongoing training and education, key initiatives include:
- Shaw’s Supplier Diversity Policy helps make a positive difference in the communities we serve by providing all suppliers with equal access.
- Associate-led Resource Groups (ARGs) drive engagement within the company by connecting associates with both similar and different perspectives. Open to all Shaw associates, ARGs focused on the needs and interests of women, Hispanic and Latino, black and multicultural, veterans, and sales have connected thousands of associates with networking and professional development opportunities.
- Shaw formed the first bilingual Toastmasters group in Georgia.
- Shaw partners with Project SEARCH to offer an internship program for young people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Future Workforce Development efforts partner with community and educational programs focused on STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) skills and career opportunities. Shaw has a number of programs keenly focused on showcasing STEM careers to underrepresented populations through mentorship, coaching and skills training.
Posted January 15, 2019
Source: Shaw Industries Group