PHILADELPHIA – April 4, 2016 – The Dow Chemical Co. is answering the dynamic needs of coatings formulators, manufacturers, regulators and applicators with the latest innovations to help solve their most critical challenges at the 2016 American Coatings SHOW April 12-14, 2016 at the Indiana Convention Center (booth #2230).
Technical experts from several Dow businesses — Dow Coating Materials, Dow Construction Chemicals, Dow Microbial Control and Dow Polyurethanes — will present how their technologies are helping customers expand the boundaries of coatings’ performance characteristics, application properties, and even the markets they can serve. Attendees will also learn about important architectural paint 2016 market research findings from the Paint Quality Institute (PQI), the industry’s leading educator for paint professionals and consumers.
Several new low-VOC and solvent1- and surfactant2-free rheology modifiers will also launch at the show, including:
- ACRYSOL™ RM-1600 and ACRYSOL RM-3030 Rheology Modifiers, high-efficiency ICI builders that help to solve the challenge of retaining high shear thickness for improved film build and surface aesthetics while maintaining formulation versatility across a range of binder chemistries.
- ACRYSOL DR-180 Rheology Modifier, a high-efficiency hydrophobically modified alkali soluble emulsion (HASE) offering a partial or complete replacement for hydroxyethylcellulose (HEC) technology and coupling excellent sag/flow balance with exceptional spray, roller and brush application properties for desired performance in contractor quality paints.
“We’ve built a legacy of innovative breakthroughs over the last six decades, including the industry-recognized3 first waterborne binder for house paint, RHOPLEX™ Binder Technology,” said Sylvia Insogna, North America marketing director, Dow Coating Materials. “We’re looking forward to demonstrating how our teams can help attendees meet and exceed their customers’ expectations today and in the future – from technology that holds up under harsher conditions to products that help them meet more significant demands from consumers, contractors and regulators without compromising performance.”
Featured technologies recently recognized as industry-leading innovations include:
- TERAFORCE™ Technology, a 2015 R&D 100 Award winner that transformed oil productivity in hydraulic fracturing as the first polyurethane resin-coated proppant.
- ACRYSOL RM-725 Rheology Modifier, a 2015 R&D 100 Award-winning hydrophobically modified ethylene oxide urethane (HEUR) that optimizes hiding and touch-up performance in architectural coatings; when combined with recently introduced ROVACE™ 10 Vinyl Acrylic Emulsion, a low-VOC binder offering broad shear stability and formulation flexibility, ACRYSOL RM-725 Rheology Modifier can amplify binder performance to help meet the evolving needs of formulators, applicators and specifiers.
“Collaborating with customers across various Dow businesses can help them reach the next level of performance,” said Juan Carlos Medina, North America marketing manager, Dow Polyurethanes. “If a customer is looking for one of our polyurethane coating solutions, for example, they can benefit from knowing how our broad biocide portfolio and dosing system from Dow Microbial Control can help optimize the formulation.”
An extensive spectrum of Dow’s impactful industry solutions will be highlighted at the show, including:
- MAINCOTE™ AEH Resin for waterborne two-component (2K) concrete coatings that require high performance, excellent tire pickup resistance and ultra-low VOC capabilities.
- MAINCOTE™ 4950 Resin and AVANSE™ 200 Acrylic Binders offering excellent performance with an improved sustainability profile for direct-to-metal (DTM) commercial and industrial applications.
- CENTURION™ Acrylic Binder, a cross-linking technology offering world class performance for roof coatings under ponded water.
- VORAPEL™ Polyols, an alternative solution to highly viscous hydroxyl terminated polybutadiene (HTPB) resins. This family of products offers a moisture- and chemical- resistant option for formulators to protect a variety of substrates, including electronic equipment, concrete structures and chemical pipes and tanks.
- PARALOID™ Edge ISO-Free Technology, a first in solvent-borne 2K urethane technology for industrial wood applications; this high-performance, ambient crosslinking system is isocyanate4- and formaldehyde-free5.
- VORASPEC™ 58 Toughening Agent, a urethane acrylate that helps formulators to achieve flexible and tough high solids epoxy coatings without compromising viscosity, cure time, adhesion or the chemical resistance properties of the cured product.
- BIOBAN™ 200 Antimicrobial and ROZONE™ 2000 Mildewcide, high-performance, cost-effective dry film preservatives based on ultra-low leaching dichlorooctylisothiazolinone (DCOIT) technology.
- RHOPLEX 800h Binder for improved hardness, tack, block, print and scrape resistance in low-VOC, binder-rich, highly colored architectural paints.
Posted April 5, 2016
Source: The Dow Chemical Co.