Suessen Celebrates 90th Anniversary
Spindelfabrik Suessen GmbH, Germany, marks its 90th year in business this year. Founded in December
1920 as Wuerttembergische Spindelfabrik Suessen GmbH by Johannes Schurr, Hans Grill and their six
employees, the small engineering workshop manufactured spindles and components for the
modernization of spindle drives in ring-spinning frames.
At ITMA ’75 in Milan, Suessen debuted CleanCat and SpinCat robots — the first automated rotor spinning machine components — for the cleaning and piecing-up of rotor spinning machines; and in 1978, the company introduced the Autocoro with Suessen SE 7 SpinBox, the first fully automatic open-end spinning machine. At ITMA ’99 in Paris, Suessen launched its EliTe®Compact spinning system for short- and long-staple fibers, and has since installed more than 3.5 million EliTeCompact spindles globally. In 2001, Switzerland-based Rieter Group acquired Suessen’s textile machinery business.